Choosing a caregiver for yourself or a loved one can seem like an overwhelming task.
Hartford HealthCare Independence at Home is here to help with some questions to keep in mind when choosing a private duty caregiver.
- Do you need hands-on care? Help around your home? Companionship?
- If you need hands on care you want to make sure that you find an agency like Independence at Home that hires only Home Health Aides or Certified Nurse Aides. Our caregivers have received specific training so they are able to provide proper and effective care.
- If you need help with cleaning your home or meal preparation then you need a homemaker.
- If you would like someone to play cards with, read the newspaper out loud or take for a drive, then you may be interested in a companion.
- All of these roles can be combined and tailored to your needs by Independence at Home.
- Make sure the caregiver is someone you’re comfortable having in your home. All of our caregivers are drug tested and screened through state and national criminal background checks as well as insured and bonded to ensure that we provide the safest and highest quality care available.
- Make sure someone from the private duty caregiving company comes out to your home and interviews you to find out your interests and your needs. This ensures they will make the best match of your needs and the caregivers experience and interests.
- Make sure to interview a few caregivers to ensure you find the right one for you and your family.
- Make sure they are qualified to provide the care you need. Our caregivers are Certified Nurse’s Assistants or have Home Aide training and receive mandatory dementia and Alzheimer’s training.
- Lastly, remember that you are in the driver’s seat. If your caregiver is not the perfect match for you, request a change.
At Hartford HealthCare Independence at Home our quality and caring staff strives to help people live independently at home. We offer:
- Personal care aides
- Live-in caregivers offered State Wide
- Personal emergency response systems